Who May Benefit from Testing Both Blood Glucose and Ketone?
Insulin Users During Illness or Stress
- To assess the risk of elevated ketone
Insulin Pump Users
- In case of pump failure or catheter obstruction
Ask your doctor or nurse when to test for ketone.
You may be advised to test under the following conditions:
- Your blood glucose is more than 300 mg/dL
- You feel nauseated, are vomiting, or have abdominal pain
- You are sick (for example, with a cold or flu)
- You feel tired all the time
- You are thirsty or have a very dry mouth
- Your skin is flushed
- You have a hard time breathing
- Your breath smells “fruity”
- You feel confused or “in a fog”