- May reduce the risk of birth defects of the brain &/or spinal cord, such as spina bifida and anencephaly, if taken daily for 1 month prior to conception and during pregnancy.
- Convenient one a day dosage.
Folate, also called folic acid, plays a role in DNA and RNA synthesis and so is critical in cellular division. In order to divide properly cells need adequate folic acid. The development and growth of a foetus involves constant cell division, which can lead to an increase in the mother’s demand for folate.
Supplementation of folate is recommended for at least one month prior to conception and during pregnancy, and may reduce the risk of neural tube defects in the unborn child.
If you are trying to conceive consider taking Blackmores Conceive Well Gold formulated for preconception care, it supplies nutrients that are needed in preparation for conception and pregnancy, including iodine and folic acid.
Once pregnant consider changing to Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold. This is a premium, comprehensive formulation which contains vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids beneficial for both mother and baby.
Adults – Take 1 tablet a day with a meal, or as professionally prescribed.
Children under 12 years – Only as professionally prescribed.
Contraindications and cautions
- Do not exceed the stated dose of folic acid except on medical advice. If you have had a baby with a neural tube defect you should seek specific medical advice.
- Not to be taken with Blackmores Concieve Well Gold, Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold, Blackmores I-Folic, or other folic acid containing supplements.
- Always read the label. Use only as directed.
A creamy, biconvex tablet, unmarked.