- Optimises folic acid and iodine levels.
- Provides iodine to promote the development of baby’s brain, eyesight & hearing.
- Provides a daily dose of 500 µg of folic acid that may reduce the risk of birth defects of the brain &/or spinal cord such as spina bifida if taken daily for 1 month prior to conception and during pregnancy.
- Small, easy to swallow tablet.
- 5 month’s supply in 1 bottle.
A recent study* showed that the iodine status of Australian and New Zealand pregnant women appears to be declining and inadequate iodine intake is re-emerging as a widespread problem in the general population.
Iodine is important for the normal functioning of the thyroid gland as it is an essential nutrient required for the synthesis of thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones affect almost every cell in the body, regulating oxygen use, metabolic rate and cellular metabolism. Thyroid hormones are important for the normal growth and development of children.
Due to its role in the synthesis of thyroid hormones, an adequate supply of iodine is needed during pregnancy and shortly after birth for the physical motor skills and mental development of the baby. Iodine plays an important role in foetal brain development. Optimising iodine levels before pregnancy can take up to 5 months.
Folic acid plays a role in DNA and RNA synthesis and so is critical in cellular division. In order to divide properly cells need adequate folic acid. The development and growth of a foetus involves constant cell division, which can lead to an increase in the mother’s demand for folate. Supplementation of folate may reduce the risk of neural tube defects in the unborn child.
If you are trying to conceive, consider taking Blackmores Conceive Well™Gold which is formulated for preconception care. It supplies nutrients that are needed in preparation for conception and pregnancy, including iodine and folic acid.
Once pregnant consider changing to Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold. This is a premium, comprehensive formulation which contains vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids beneficial for both mother and baby.
Adults – Take 1 tablet a day with a meal, or as professionally prescribed.
Contraindications and cautions
- Do not exceed the stated dose of folic acid except on medical advice. If you have had a baby with a neural tube defect/spina bifida seek specific medical advice.
- Not to be taken with Blackmores Conceive Well Gold, Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Gold, Blackmores Folate, or other folic acid containing supplements.
- Consult your healthcare professional before use if suffering from a thyroid condition.
An opaque pink, small round tablet.